Operation Beech / Police

The University of Bristol works with Avon and Somerset police to provide an on-the-night response to noise disturbances believed to be caused by students. If you are disturbed by a house party or street noise caused by University of Bristol students between 8 pm and 2 am on a Wednesday, Friday or Saturday, text the street name and house number to +44 (0)7773 816 248.

Police patrols will respond on a priority basis. Extra police patrols are added to some student areas on specific days of the week.

On days when Operation Beech is not running, you can report noise and anti-social behaviour directly to the police by phoning 101.

If a crime is in progress, there is a danger to life, or if violence is used or threatened, phone 999.

You can also report any noise problem via the Bristol City Council website.

If you continue to experience disturbance, we recommend putting through a complaint with the council’s Neighbourhood Enforcement Team, who are the relevant legal authorities to deal with such incidents and have legal powers to deal with noise complaints, including Noise Abatement Notices, formal cautions, and prosecution with fines of up to £5,000. In extreme cases involving loud music, the council can also confiscate music equipment.

There is a joint protocol for responding to student misconduct in the community between the University of Bristol, the University of the West of England, and the Bristol City Council Neighbourhood Enforcement Team.

Problems with students can also be reported to the Community Liaison departments - see Contacts page.
They will initially attempt to resolve the problem informally but may also invoke a disciplinary procedure if necessary.

You can reduce the risk of receiving noise complaints by:

It is also polite to let your neighbours know if you are thinking of having a party.

If you experience a persistent noise problem, further advice can be found via

For Noise complaints the council also recommends the use of the Noise App. This is a very useful tool to make recordings of noise with a time, date, and location stamp, which can then be sent directly to the council.

The council also recommends the use of a noise diary for continuous complaints, and they recommend you record the events over 14 days. The council will not investigate without the log of events diary. 


You may also wish to lodge a complaint with the landlord or lettings agent of the property. Their contact details can be obtained by consulting the Bristol City Council Pinpoint Map.

Click on "Housing and Property" to open up options and and click to select the boxes next to "Additional HMO" and "Mandatory HMO" to see the houses with HMO licences.